Thursday, March 19, 2009

Small late-stage Dalton Hardaway Point

A small weekend find. A black rhyolite Dalton Hardaway. I am used to finding smaller white quartz points, of this same general style, out in Western Concord (for example click here) but this is the first one I found made of this black material and I found it in Eastern Concord. So it is a similar culture but a different group of people. Dalton Hardaway points are from the late "Paleo-Indian" period around 8K years ago.
At first I thought it was a Brewerton point but small details convince me it was not. If you are into this sort of thing, it is easy to see the evolution of Clovis points to Brewertons (for example click here) with this Dalton-Hardaway as an intermediate form. The theory is that Clovis people were originally from the Eastern US and this is consistent not only with the large variation in types of Clovis point as well as the large variations in descendant types found in this part of the US. (Click here for some other little treasures from Concord, MA.

2 comments :

Chris Pittman said...

That's a fantastic find, I would be so thrilled to find something like this and I am very jealous. Did you find this in a corn field?

pwax said...

Yes.