Saturday, October 31, 2009

Update on the effigy with quartz

In reference to articles here and here. Mike H writes:

I located some older photos from 2004. Another view of the Effigy.
Another view of the third picture from previous post .
A photo of a portion of the wall. [The previous article mentions this wall is semicircular with a spring in the middle - PWAX]Three quartz rocks located in the center of the circle.
The property has been in the family since the 1960's. I first saw the wall in 1986. After I found the NEARA website in 2004, I decided to have a closer look at the wall with a new perspective. At first I thought I was seeing things, but I have found numerous constructions inside and outside of the circle.

3 comments :

pwax said...

That is one of the best effigies ever. And now Tim MacSweeney's thoughts of claws and my thoughts of birds might make sense. Is this a Thunderbird?

Previous examples were not so good:
http://neara.org/lithic/springs/tbirdeff.html

Tim MacSweeney said...

Once when I was a kid, I went for a walk up to what we used to call "Lost Lake." I stopped on the "dam" - also a woodcutting road, to see what I could see in the way of wildlife in the pond from behind a screen of small shrubs and trees. I heard some rustling behind me and slowly looked behind me, down in the wet gully, where the stream used to flow. I saw some leaves move again and heard them rustle. First one claw emerged, then another and then the head of a gigantic snapping turtle. I stayed very still and watched this big guy dig himself out of hibernation as he sleepily crawled past me and slid into the pond...

Norman said...

I still think the proximity to a spring has to be seriously considered when interpreting the petroforms. And turtles are foremost in my mind.