Thursday, November 17, 2011

Bird Stone


Here's a "new to me" Native American Cultural Motif found on a "stone wall" that sections off an area of several mounds on property that was part of my Great Granfather's farm, presently owned by my Uncle Bob.  Now that I've seen it once, I'll know I'll be looking for more examples. Since it's so widespread, perhaps you'll see one too (if you look for it, that is). It's thought to be a "seated bird," important because it can fly and get close to the Creator...

A much smaller polished Red Slate Bird Stone
A few more photos of the stone row birdstone can be found at: http://wakinguponturtleisland.blogspot.com/2011/11/bird-stone.html
The site is described and pictured at: http://wakinguponturtleisland.blogspot.com/2011/11/old-horse-field-and-outcrops.html

4 comments :

pwax said...

Note that the bird stone has a hole drilled through it lengthwise. It may be a functional object.

Tim MacSweeney said...

The exact use remains unknown; possibly headdresses and atlatl weights, when they have holes as well as when they don't and are "problematic," according to the Grey Beards.

Tim MacSweeney said...

You've found various bird forms as well, if I recall correctly.

pwax said...

I thought there were several posts about bird-shaped stones but I cannot locate most of them.

That red slate object is a marvel of form.