Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Researcher studying Norumbega

[From a reader]
Hi, I am researching an area in Maine that Norumbega is shown on the maps, especially Champlain's 1607 map.  I have come across an area covered with stone walls and have been trying to reach out to the professionals to ascertain if they are colonial or Native American.  I have been in contact with Mr. Gage who said there was a good possibility that they were Native American.  If I can get confirmation it might help establish that a Native fortification exists where Norumbega is thought to have existed.  I have started a facebook page called Save Norumbega that exhibits several examples of the stonewalls I refer to.  I will include 1 just as an attention getter.  I would be interested in your opinion and my goal is to get this area recognized and preserved before the stonewall harvesters get to the area to remove the stones and build new ones at their own places of residence.
 T
[Also this video]

2 comments :

Curt Hoffman said...

Many of the locations interpreted by early European explorers as "forts" were in fact sacred enclosures - like Queen's Fort in Rhode Island. Looking at this video, I don't see how walls this low could have functioned defensively, and I also don't see any signs that they are particularly delapidated, so I suspect that they are pretty much in the same condition as they were 500 years ago. I think that this may be such a sacred site!

JimP said...
This comment has been removed by the author.